How Much Does It Cost to Install a Heat Pump?
Installing a heat pump makes your entire HVAC system simple. Basically, a replacement for both your air conditioner and furnace, a heat pump can greatly reduce your utility bills in the years to come. Obviously, added efficiency doesn’t come without a price.
The heat pump installation cost largely comes down to the heat pumps actual price and the cost of professional labor. Each factor ranges from as low as a couple of hundred dollars to as high as $10,000. Therefore, the average heat pump replacement cost can vary.
However, considering that there are 2,900+ heat pump installation and replacement projects, the average cost for heat pump installation is approximately $5,100. This price includes installation and labor.
Heat Pump Prices
Putting labor to the side for a minute, let’s look at the heat pumps actual cost. While HVAC work is typically reserved for professionals, some knowledgeable DIYers can replace a heat pump themselves. If you are one in the same, the only cost should be the price of the heat pump. Below are some of the more effective and common heat pumps on the market.
Heat Pump Category
High Effeciently Heat Pumps
Dual Fuel Heat Pumps
Energy Effcient Heat Pumps
Ductles Heat Pumps
How Much Does it Cost to Replacement a Heat Pump?
If you’re putting in a new air handler and replacement heat pump at the same time, it will cost you $4,000 to $9,000 on average. Adding ductwork could raise that price up past $15,000.
- The size of the home dictates how much tonnage you’ll require. The larger the home is, the higher the price.
- Fees and permits raise the cost a little and varies by location. You could run into dumping fees, building permits and other local regulations.
- Brand quality will dictate the unit price but doesn’t affect labor.
- Duct setup. If your home doesn’t already have a duct system, you may want to choose a ductless setup, sometimes called a mini-split, or get a duct system installed.
- Materials and supplies typically get covered in the project price. Be sure ask if it is and if you can see it as an item on the project bid and invoice.
Heat Pump Labor Costs
Prices of heat pumps have stayed steady over the years. Unfortunately, labor costs differ quite a bit more than the heat pumps themselves. This is the reason different homes need different installations. Some homes may require excavation or drilling through driveways and walls. Others may need pipe installation or a completely new venting system. In addition to the added time, each aspect brings more complexity to the job. Everything considered, heat pump labor costs average labor cost range between $1,000 and $6,000.
Benefits of a Heat Pump
Here are just a couple of the benefits that homeowners can expect to receive after they get a heat pump installed
- Cost efficient to run. Even if you dish out top dollar for geothermal, operating costs help pay for itself in the long run.
- Friendly for the Environmentally. because they are more energy efficient than gas, they usually generate less of a carbon footprint.
- Ductless types reduce airborne allergens. No ducts mean no dirt and dust build up. Various unit even come with special allergen filters.
- Safer alternative than gas. No air combustion means no carbon monoxide problems.
- Improve home values. You may get up to a 70% ROI when you sell your home. But that will vary quite a bit subject to other real estate factors.
Heat Pump Discounts
Unlike an air conditioner or furnace, you could qualify for specific rebates or tax credits when you buy a new heat pump. To find out the exact rebates in your state, speak to a local accountant about the following discounts:
- Non-Business Energy Property Credit
- Renewable Energy Tax Credit
- Residential Energy Property Expenditures
- “How Much Does It Cost To Install A Heat Pump?” 2019 Heat Pump Cost | Heat Pump Prices & Replacement Cost, https://www.improvenet.com/r/costs-and-prices/heat-pump-installation-cost-estimator.
- “Learn How Much It Costs to Install a Heat Pump.” HomeAdvisor, https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/heating-and-cooling/install-a-heat-pump/#replacement.