Welcome to the Air Conditioning and HVAC repair parts guide 2016. Heating & Air Conditioning repair parts research can be done through our guide below. If you need service, call 602-488-7161. This guide will give you the basic information when it comes to the parts in your heating and A/C system.
These are the air conditioning starting devices.
- Short cycling compressor
- Hard starting compressor
- Bulged or leaking housing
- Weak capacity caused by shorted plates
- Open circuit or internal short
Did you know? That when a run capacitor fails, it is wise for your to consider getting a compressor hard start kit to avoid secondary system failure.
Weak Capacitor Chart:
|Replace Capacitors not within the following ranges:
Ask the Professionals: Having a weak or bad capacitor may severely shorten the life of your air conditioner.
Relays and Contactors
A contactor is the main switch that will supply power to the compressor.
- Shorted or burned out coil
- Burned wiring
- Contacts stuck closed or open
- Insect(s) shorted out contact points
- Short cycling
- Corroded or pitted contact points
Learn More: The big killer of a compressor is the contactor that has become corroded or pitted contact points.
Ask the Pro’s: You should replace a contactor that is older than 5 years which will extend the life of your AC.
Hard Start Compressor Kit
This reduces the starting AMPS.
- Voltage drop (bad contactor points)
- Compressor drawing too many AMPS at start up
- Relay contact burnt or stuck
Learn More: When you reduce the amps at start up, you will prolong the life of your AC.
Ask the Pro’s: If you notice that a compressor begins to draw high amps at start up, then it is a sign that it is seizing up and it is at risk for failure.
Blowers and Motors
This circulates the household air.
|Causes of Failure:
· Dirty wheel or blower motor
· Wheel is defective or out of balance
· Seized or worn motor bearings such as blower running below normal speed and being noisy
· Motor electrical failure
|Causes of Failure:
· Defective capacitor
· Short cycling
· Broken fan blade or out of balance
· System age
· Seized motor bearings
· Shortened or open motor windings
|Learn More: Quality contractors will replace both the blower motor and blower wheel when the blower motor needs to be replaced. This will limit that noise and prevent premature failure of the replacement of motor bearings.
||Learn More: If the blower/fan has failed and the unit is older than 10 years, you need to consider replacing the unit.
|Ask the Pro’s: Often times the blower wheel is severely damaged when being removed from a rusted motor shaft.
||Ask the Pro’s: The condenser blower/fan failure is a great indication that the AC unit is old and there may be more trouble on the way. Replacing the whole system is recommended.
Condenser Coil Dirty
This prevents you from having efficient heat transfers.
AC’s or heat pump condenser coils may sometimes get plugged up by grass, pollen, dirt, dust, and other types of debris.
- Lack of air flow through the condenser which causes the condenser to run hotter than normal and the compressor to run hotter due to the high load conditions.
- Higher amp draw means higher electrical bills.
- Results in higher pressures in the condenser which causes the compressor to pull amps.
- Unit loses the ability to remove heat from the system.
Which results in:
- Higher than normal electric bills.
- Premature failure of the condenser fan motor and/or compressor.
Being a part of the Comfort Club ensures that your condenser coils are cleaned on every visit in order to make sure that you get maximum efficiency.
Dirty Evaporator Coil or Filter
This reduces the efficiency and shortens the life of your system.
Dirty Evaporator coil or filter
- The blower fan will run at higher than normal temps which leads to premature failure
- Liquid doesn’t compress, which may cause the compressor to fail
- Issues with not evaporating all the refrigerant in the coil can be harmful to the compressor
- Diminished airflow capacity causes the evaporator to starve for air.
- Dirty filters or evaporators can cause the air side of the equipment to lose their ability to deliver the right amounts of air inside of the home
Learn More: There are other things that can cause diminished air flow which are collapsed duct work, low refrigerant charge, and bad blower motor. This will cause your evaporator coil and suction line to freeze.
Ask the Pro’s: Cleaning the coils and blowers will add up to 30% in air flow, reduces energy consumption, and prolongs the systems life.
This supplies low voltage to the cooling and heating control circuits.
- Lightning strike or power spike
- Improper primary voltage
- Transformer coil shorted
- Unit has been overtaxed by controls
- VA capacity is too low for the system
- Low volt wiring shorted or grounded
- Control shorted in the system
Learn More: Whenever a transformer fails, it is always an indication for further system failure.
Ask the Pro’s: Whenever you are having remodeling or new construction done to your service professional.
This is the heart of the system.
Heat pumps and air conditioning unites will move heat by circulating refrigerant through outdoor and indoor coils at various pressures. Changing the burned out compressor involves the following:
- Removing all the refrigerant
- Cutting out the bad compressor
- Welding in a new compressor
- Changing and dryer and using an HH type of dryer
- Cleaning the debris from the line, using a high performance vacuum pump in order to remove any moisture or air
- Using a micron gauge to determine the level of vacuum
- Weighing in the recommended amount of new refrigerant
- Improper voltage/power fluctuations
- Lack of proper maintenance
- Improper installation techniques
- Dirty coils and lack of air flow
- Inaccurate refrigerant charge
Ask the Pro’s: Anytime that a compressor fails, it is a great idea to consider getting a new system.
This is the device that will regulate the flow of refrigerant into the heat absorbing coil.
- Age seizing moving parts
- Debris clogging the valve
- Loss of bulb charge
Learn More: Having a bad TXV may be a sign of a failing compressor. In order to change the TXV, you would need to follow the steps needed when charging the compressor.
Ask the Pro’s: Having a bad TXV means that it would be time for you to consider a new system.
These control the heating and amps as well as the cooling systems and will allow the indoor the fan to run intermittently or continuously.
- Lightning strike or power spike
- Mechanical or electrical failure
- Defective heating or cooling controls
- Low voltage from wiring being grounded or shorted
- Worn sub-base or thermostat
Learn More: Whenever a thermostat fails, it could be pointing to further system issues.
Ask the Pro’s: Whenever your thermostat needs to be replaced, it would be wise to consider getting a programmable touch screen type in order to reduce energy consumption.
This is created to prevent water damage.
The EZ Trap Safety Switch was created to prevent water damage by shutting your system down anytime the drain line becomes blocked of plugged up. There is a clear p-trap and brush that is used to see if there is any blockage and allow easy access to clean the trap easily.
Learn More: The EZ Trap will keep costly drywall damage from happening and prevent any excess moisture that may be a source of mold and other unhealthy conditions in your home.
Low Level Carbon Monoxide Monitor NSI 3000
This is the most advanced low level carbon monitor that is available
- 2 year limited warranty
- Continuous circling line on the display when the reading is below S PPM
- Resistant to false alarms caused by normal household contaminants
- Digital readout of CO in PPM (Parts per Million)
- Will Detect CO continuously
- Advanced electro mechanical sensor created to accurately measure low levels of CO by providing early warning of toxic CO levels in your home.
- In high concentrations, CO can kill in minutes
- Reduces oxygen to the heart, vital organs and brain
- Carbon Monoxide kills thousands each year and injures many more
- It competes with oxygen by replacing it in the red blood cells
- Like oxygen, CO enters the body through the lungs during the breathing process
Ask the Pro’s: Low level exposure (less than 35PPM) of CO can be confused with food poisoning, the flu, and other illnesses and can cause long term health risks if left untreated.
This is a tool that measures air pressure In the air duct.
- If your static pressure is too high, your AC unit could fail
- High static pressure also makes your unit work harder, which results in a high electric bill
- All HVAC systems are created to work at or below 1 inch water column
Ask the Pro’s: The common cure to high static is simply adding a return duct that will allow your system to breathe.
Analyzer Of Combustion Tool
This is a test to determine the proper combustion in gas appliances.
- Without a combustion analyzer test your system could be producing too much CO and wasting energy.
- Comfort club members get an annual combustion test included in the membership
- 90% of gas furnaces have never had a certified combustion test completed.
Meg Ohm Meter Tool
The Meg Ohm Meter is a tool that tests motor windings.
- If you are able to catch a compressor that has a weak winding you should change it before it burns out to prevent the contamination of your system.
- A compressor or motor that tests the caution range is a sign of future failure.
Ask the Pro’s: Any time that a compressor fails, it would be best to consider a new high efficiency system.
Thank you for reading this 2016 installment of “Air Conditioning & HVAC Repair Parts Guide“, by ACandRefrigeration.